This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
The purpose of this forum is designed to inform those parents of sailors who aspire to the rate of GM. It is intended to aide parents with what to expect once their sailor graduates boot camp (BC)..also known as PIR, and moves to the A-School side of the base. Questions will be answered by the family of sailors who are training to be GMs. If we don't have the answers, we will get them for you.

Please introduce yourself if your sailor is in the GM rate and provide background on your sailor so that we can get to know you. If you have specific questions about these ratings, and you ask them here, Will and Hoppi will be able to answer your questions. This will help all of us because the answers won't disappear pages down in the general forum.

I want to give Gary T. credit for this great idea; he just hired me as his secretary to put it together. So, jump in and we hope this will be helpful to all of you.

Views: 7463

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Vee, Brett did take the OC training. He said it was like nothing he has ever felt before. Messed up one of his eyes for 3 days. Nasty stuff. He is still training for SBS and VBSS. His Master Chief told him that he wants him to pass no matter what because" I want the ships top M16 qualifier on the team" Brett is both excited and a little apprehensive because of the added pressure. I told him to get used to it if you want to rank up so we will see how he handles it. I think he will be ok once he settles into the routine. For some reason he always has had some self doubt until everything clicks for him and then he seems to excel. Glad to see Michael and Nick are doing well. It's so gratifying to read about our "boys" doing well with their careers. It's nice to come back here and follow up. Please keep in touch and send our best to Michael. TTYL, Bill
Thanks, Bill.....it's good to check back here from time to time to see how our "boys" are doing now that they are in the next phase of their Navy career. I know what you mean about the "self doubt"...Michael has that, too, and always seems to think he is a failure. Comes from NOT having a Dad who supported him instead of always being negative with him. It's difficult for me to understand people like that. So, Michael thinks he has to be perfect in everything or he is a failure. We have had many long talks about this. This short deployment for Nick and Michael should be an exciting one; I'm glad they have each other on the same ship. How lucky was that? Glad Brett is doing well and how is the baby? Good to hear from you and take care. HAGD and TTYL, Vee
Vee, Nick called and said he was told he was going to be one of the mass casualties to be evacuated by helicopter from the Lake Erie. He is excited. Never been on a helicopter before. It seems like someone likes or dislike Nick, he is always being volunteered for something, or is it because he is the new kid on the block. I told him it must be a good thing since he is going to attend his 2nd C-School so quickly. Bill, glad to hear about Brett. I wish him the best. Good to hear things are going well for him. Gary T.
Gary, Michael is going to be one of the mass casualties, also. And he understands that usually the "newbies" don't get to do this. He is looking forward to it. He has never been on a helicopter either, so it sounds exciting. I am so happy that the two of them are together over there. I can't wait to hear from them when they get back into port. Vee
Well GM folks, today is a first for Nicholas. He is leaving on his first ever sea trial. I told him to be prepared in case he becomes ill. If not enjoy and learn all you can. His ship will take part in exercises during July and then he is off to his 2nd C-School in Calif. .

All of this excitement was tainted last week when he had lost his wallet with all his ID's, credit and debit cards. Yesterday he was lucky enough to have them returned minus his military ID and $100.00. Cheap lesson I guess. May I suggest you all have your sailors wear belts and chain drive wallets when off duty and on duty if allowed. At the very least the wallet will dangle but it wont get lost. #1 safe guard your identity it is something we all take for granted. Gary T.
Gary T, I didn't know about this. Wow, a hard lesson learned. Is he on the ship today when they deploy? Michael is looking forward to another phase in his Navy career. He also hopes to finish his "quals" while on this trip so he can qualify to live in the barracks. Best of luck to Nick for his next school in San Diego. Vee
My son graduated BC May 27, 2010. He moved over to the A-school side of base June 1. After his INDOC, He completed his Phase @ Liberty requirements. He is now attending ATT School. He has moved once since June...
We are a Navy family....Luke's grandfather's were both in the Navy, Great Uncle, Uncle and 2 cousins were also. Presently his cousins are still enlisted, 1 a SEAL and the other an Aviation Boatswain's Mate. NONE of which went out to sea for longer than 30 days.
Jenny D (or anyone else) can you offer me some insight on what to expect when he goes out to sea? How much contact will we have with him? How safe or how not so safe is it? How much information are sailor's given as to what they can expect out at sea?

I am so glad to have found this group. I know all my questions will be answered eventually.
Thank you to you all and all of your loved ones serving the United States of America!
Betsy
Betsy, is your son a GM? I would like to thank you and your family Grandfather, Great Uncle, Uncle, two cousins and above all Luke for the service given to our country. Not knowing much about your son's rate I will try to address some of your questions.

1st My son was moved to his final ship or barracks once he completed A.T.T.. He was on the Enterprise for S.C.C. and A.T.T.. He was then moved to the Cole for the actual GM A-School. Once he completed A-School he was on hold awaiting his hard copy orders. Once he was given those he was transferred to a holding barracks to await his departure date. All in all he was there one year and 1 day with holds. He completed his V.L.S. C-School in San Diego before moving to a cruiser in Pearl Harbor Hi. He is now going back to San Diego for another C-School.

Completion of A-School and selection of orders is usually done by class standing. Not all sailors will go to a C-School for more training right after they graduate. If they don't go to C-School or if they finish C-School they may be assigned shore duty or sea duty. Depending on the type of assignment if at sea on a large ship they may be deployed for a significant amount of time. If at sea I have used Scipe (picture internet), they have ship board E-Mail addresses. Usually no phone contact unless they are near Hawaii or Stateside or the US snail mail. The safety of one and all is the concern of the NAVY. Safety is first especially if they use common sense. The NAVY insures all of there sailors are properly trained and would not place someone in harms way unless they were qualified to serve. Hope I helped. Gary T.
Gary!
Yes! Luke is a GM. Thank you for this very helpful information! Luke is suffering from homesickness right now and although I text with him daily and talk to him but not as frequently as texting him, I try and NOT ask too many questions that may have alot of detailed answers. I like to have the emails such as yours to go back on and refresh my memory...I guess it's that age thing! (lol) I haven't SKYPED Lucas yet, but I plan on it, again the homesickness thing, Skyping could be a good thing OR a bad. Who really knows for sure?
You certainly are a wealth of knowledge and I am very happy to have made contact with you and this discussion group.
Thank you again
Betsy
Betsy, feel free to ask about the GM rate. My son Nicholas and Vee's grand-son Michael are now on the same ship in Hawaii. Both are V.L.S. GM'S. They started boot camp about 3 to 4 weeks apart, met in Great Lakes and became friends in San Diego and now together in Hawaii. Tell him the GM field is great both Nick and Michael really like the hands on when on the ship. Weapons all guys love weapons. The A.T.T. School is self paced. When Luke goes to A-School he must do his best as orders are picked according to class standing. The higher you finish the better chance you have at getting what you want. Nick and Michael chose V.L.S. and an assignment in Hi. Who would have guessed they would be together. Friends, that is what its all about. The more you make the more will come back to you. Gary T.
Vee, thanks for the list. I didn't realize it was so long. My son continues as an instructor at GL at the simulation range. From what I understand, there's a three part requirement for becoming a master instructor. He's completed "the book" (whatever that is) and recently passed the big test. I saw his study materials, and he told me about the test. Honestly as a teacher myself, I would have thrown out the test and rewritten it! Lots of lists to memorize like what are the six qualities of a student....All he has to do is pass the oral boards now. He's nervous about those, but I know if he can get through everything else he's had to go through in his Navy career, he'll do fine.

He sees your sailors in week 5 of BC and been known to tell a sailor to write his mom!
Hi Ruth, you are one of the first Mom's I met on here and that was about 18 mos ago. Lots has happened since then. "Gun" will do just fine. I'm sure he nervous, but he'll make it. I hear Michael talk about his "quals" he is doing now on his ship in Honolulu. And, I'm not exactly sure that all that means. Also, he is going to get married on his leave next month in Maryland. I'm not sure I am going to be able to make it back to the wedding, tho. It isn't real easy to get there from here, but I'm still working on it. Good to hear from you and see you posting again. Take care my friend and my best to Gun on becoming a master instructor.
Hugs, Vee

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service