This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
Hey everyone! I was just wondering about a few things and was looking for some advice from anyone willing to give it. I am 23 years old and I am in school right now pursing my degree in nursing. In about two years I will be graduating with my BSN. The main thing that I would like to do with my nursing degree is to be able to travel around and help in different areas of the world. My brother joined the Navy in 2009 and he was informing me of the hospital ships. The main question that I have is, is it better to graduate with my nursing degree before I decide to join and are there more advantages if I wait? Is there a chance that I will be able to get on these medical ships if I go in with my nursing degree? Another thing that I am worried about is the training for basics. I'm just affraid that I won't be able to met some of the physical needs to pass the tests. Also wondering about what I should start training myself on to improve in order to pass. Thank you in advance for any advice!!

Views: 5029

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My experience (talking to a recruiter?). Tape him

HardyGirl1369-youve gotten some great advice--just remember that anything you want to do, you can if you really want it.  As a nurse who spent time in the Army, I thought basic training was like a vacation!  Two things-talk to someone now as you may be able to get some help with school costs, and the entry seems to be so far into the future, that it may just be perfect.  (My niece looked into AF and was told spots were full thru 2012)

Good luck and keep moving forward!

that PRT chart you provided...it's outdated. The new one is in the instruction dated 11/12 July...OPNAVINST 6110.1J

I suggest that you try to find a penpal or mentor who is doing what you want to do.  Talk to Navy Recruitor now rather than later, to find out what is going to be available when you graduate, and to get help getting physically fit.  My son started the process about a year before he actually went to Recruit Training.  Then he waited until the job he wanted opened up.  He attended fitness training with other recruits each week, and improved his running time, before taking final tests.  (He also added a physical fitness class to his college schedule to help him prepare.) After joining the Navy, he also made time to do PT (Physical Training) while stationed overseas, and returned home in better shape than he left.  His experience has shown the importance of being physically fit.

Good luck!

Actually the PFT changed as of 01/01/2011 Your best bet is to go the the local recruiting office and get all your questions answered there.

Hello, I saw this post about College degrees...my daughter is starting her second semester of college in Education. She is fluent in French and Spanish (english of course). She is a the very first stage of doing paper work with a recruiter and if everything goes well, she will go to bootcamp in about 6 months. By then, she will have 24 credits. I have afew questions:

Will those credits counts or only the 12 she has now from semester 1 as she is doing her paperwork with the recruiter?

Are 30 credits better to have before going?

Thank you for any advise..

Gaby 

Start here. Go through all the info in this Survival Guide.This guide has lots of information. You will find the videos the most interesting because it takes you through all the stages of boot camp.

http://www.navyformoms.com/forum/topics/survival-guide-for-navy-for...

Please note the link to the NavyDep.com in the survival guide. This is a group just for people on the delayed entry program. Craig who runs it has a son in the Navy & was a Navy man himself.

Click on GROUPS and input nursing, medical field in the search box and see what you come up with.

I am in favor of completing your education first (if you can afford it) and go in as an officer (Officer Candidate School). Remember there are different recruiters for officers from those for enlisted. My son graduated from college and went thru OCS as a nuke officer. You can use your Navy experience and later on the GI bill to get your graduate degrees.

Good luck.

BunkerQB.

HardyGirl,   you have received a ton of advise all of it is good today.  Will it be good in two years who knows. Before you commit one way or another speak face to face with the Nurse Procurement Officer to see what they offer.  No guarantee you'll get aboard a hospital ship just the way the hospital is staffed. If I was younger and a nurse the Marine Corps (Green Side) is where I would try to get.   Battalion Medical Education is way to go.   Remember you go enlisted they is no Golden Gateway to officer. Why give away a $1500 a month....................good luck on your decision.

..................and..................

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service