This site is for mothers of kids in the U.S. Navy and for Moms who have questions about Navy life for their kids.

FIRST TIME HERE?

FOLLOW THESE STEPS TO GET STARTED:

Choose your Username.  For the privacy and safety of you and/or your sailor, NO LAST NAMES ARE ALLOWED, even if your last name differs from that of your sailor (please make sure your URL address does not include your last name either).  Also, please do not include your email address in your user name. Go to "Settings" above to set your Username.  While there, complete your Profile so you can post and share photos and videos of your Sailor and share stories with other moms!

Make sure to read our Community Guidelines and this Navy Operations Security (OPSEC) checklist - loose lips sink ships!

Join groups!  Browse for groups for your PIR date, your sailor's occupational specialty, "A" school, assigned ship, homeport city, your own city or state, and a myriad of other interests. Jump in and introduce yourself!  Start making friends that can last a lifetime.

Link to Navy Speak - Navy Terms & Acronyms: Navy Speak

All Hands Magazine's full length documentary "Making a Sailor": This video follows four recruits through Boot Camp in the spring of 2018 who were assigned to DIV 229, an integrated division, which had PIR on 05/25/2018. 

Boot Camp: Making a Sailor (Full Length Documentary - 2018)

Boot Camp: Behind the Scenes at RTC

...and visit Navy.com - America's Navy and Navy.mil also Navy Live - The Official Blog of the Navy to learn more.

OPSEC - Navy Operations Security

Always keep Navy Operations Security in mind.  In the Navy, it's essential to remember that "loose lips sink ships."  OPSEC is everyone's responsibility. 

DON'T post critical information including future destinations or ports of call; future operations, exercises or missions; deployment or homecoming dates.  

DO be smart, use your head, always think OPSEC when using texts, email, phone, and social media, and watch this video: "Importance of Navy OPSEC."

Follow this link for OPSEC Guidelines:

OPSEC GUIDELINES

Events

**UPDATE 4/26/2022** Effective with the May 6, 2022 PIR 4 guests will be allowed.  Still must be fully vaccinated to attend.

**UPDATE as of 11/10/2022 PIR vaccination is no longer required.

**UPDATE 7/29/2021** You now must be fully vaccinated in order to attend PIR:

In light of observed changes and impact of the Coronavirus Delta Variant and out of an abundance of caution for our recruits, Sailors, staff, and guests, Recruit Training Command is restricting Pass-in-Review (recruit graduation) to ONLY fully immunized guests (14-days post final COVID vaccination dose).  

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR UP TO DATE INFO:

RTC Graduation

**UPDATE 8/25/2022 - MASK MANDATE IS LIFTED.  Vaccinations still required.

**UPDATE 11/10/22 PIR - Vaccinations no longer required.

RESUMING LIVE PIR - 8/13/2021

Please note! Changes to this guide happened in October 2017. Tickets are now issued for all guests, and all guests must have a ticket to enter base. A separate parking pass is no longer needed to drive on to base for parking.

Please see changes to attending PIR in the PAGES column. The PAGES are located under the member icons on the right side.

Format Downloads:

Latest Activity

Navy Speak

Click here to learn common Navy terms and acronyms!  (Hint:  When you can speak an entire sentence using only acronyms and one verb, you're truly a Navy mom.)

N4M Merchandise

Shirts, caps, mugs and more can be found at CafePress.

Please note: Profits generated in the production of this merchandise are not being awarded to the Navy or any of its suppliers. Any profit made is retained by CafePress.

Navy.com Para Familias

Visite esta página para explorar en su idioma las oportunidades de educación y carreras para sus hijos en el Navy. Navy.com

Badge

Loading…
I thought it would be nice to start a discussion for our children leaving the week of October 25th 2010.  Welcome everyone.  Kathy   

Views: 1539

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Betsy, I am with you there. How is your child doing? Mine is worried about his PT. He is working on his push ups. I tell him just to keep at it and he will get better and better. Have you seen my countdown on my "My Page". It makes October seem really soon. lol. I think the closer we get to October more people will sign up. Thank you for replying. I was feeling kind of lonely being the only one. lol. Have a good night. Kathy
You're not alone! Trust me, I'm the step mama and I get a little weepy thinking about him being gone, lol. Lucky for us, Jordan was a football player, and he's gone up and worked out with his old team mates, as well as working out on his own. It helps that he's used to having to do conditioning.
As long as he's working at his PT kimcarl, tell him not to "sweat" it (haha) as they will have plenty of opportunities to "practice" before their final PFT at BC. The ones who struggle and/or barely squeak by are those who didn't do any, or very little, physical training before they left, or couldn't swim! The runs are hard for the girls sometimes.

A prepared Recruit is a successful Sailor. :-) BC is often easier for those who do some memorizing of orders etc. and get in shape prior to shipping out. There can be rewards for those that know and can do what is required.

iluvangels-There is lots of time a Sailor will attend classes and have to study and learn new things. They have Educational Petty Officers, especially in A school, as well as study groups, (sometimes mandatory) to help anyone who is struggling. As Recruits, they learn to stay quiet in BC, to just listen and follow orders, but then don't realize it's o.k to ask for help from their instructors and commanders later as a new Sailor. :)
It is nice to meet you, teachergirl. Our kids will be in BC together and it will be nice to hear about all their experiences. I am sure I will be a basket case, wondering how he is doing. Just yesterday he told me to stop telling him the countdown number because it is stressing him out. I didn't realize that he must have lots of feelings he is dealing with too. It is a big step and he is trying to get prepared physically and mentally for what is to come. The time seems to be flying by too fast now for everything he wants to get accomplished. I am so proud of him. That is great that J played football. He knows what he needs to do to condition himself. I am sure by the time they leave they will be excited and ready. Knowing there are wonderful people here to share experiences with will be such a comfort. Have a good day. K
Yep, and J makes friends easily, so I'm B will have a buddy if he wants one. J is known by everyone and is their buddy in about 5 minutes. I was up chatting with him on FB all night, then went in to start organizing my classroom. I didn't want to miss a moment when he was in the mood to talk. He was the first of my step kids I got to know and I always tell his dad I fell in love with them both. It's gonna be hard, no doubt. But he's so certain, and there's a family history of service, so I'm encouraged by that!
I wanted to ask where every ones from and your child's rating. I am from Texas and B is CTR. He will be going to FL for A school.
IM shipping on the 27th, hopfeully ill graduate in time for christmas.
Hi NavyABE, thank you for deciding to serve our country. My son is leaving the 25th and I too am hoping he graduates before Christmas. I don't know how they decide who gets the different PIR's. How are your dep meetings going? B is really working on his PT right now. B's rate is CTR. What is your rate? Kathy
Yea i live only about 40 minutes away from great lakes so that would be a nice treat to be able to be here for christmas. Our dep meetings aren't to bad. We usually have about 15-20 deppers show up every thursday, and we always have about 4 petty officers and a chief doing PT with us. Our office has alot of people join out of it, so id say its almost like being in boot camp, its tough but i know there just getting us ready for whats to come. I always say don't just work out with the navy but also by yourself at least three times a week, so he can have an edge over everyone else. My rate is ABE aviation boatswain mate equipment. Launch and recovery of aircraft on the flight deck, Maybe we'll see you at graduation or maybe the same division! Doug
I thank your son in joining me to answer the call. Ask him to ask his recruiter or anyone in charge to get it to once a week, i know it may be bad for peoples schedules but commitment is in the Navy's three words. Thats good that he's working out by himself, its a little less motivating but he's doing alot more than what others should be. Work on push-ups, sit-ups, squats, running lots of running. remember to tell him to stretch, i found out a requirement in boot camp is to touch your toes once, some people can't do that. That would be fantastic if we were on the same boat together, already making mutual friends before we leave :). Im no expert but ive been trying to join for a year and half (ASVAB kicked my butt) and two of my good friends are in so i get tips all the time.

Doug
hey there NavyABE. my son is also leaving for bc on 10/25 and is also an ABE. it would be nice to know that he already has a contact before he even leaves. would you mind if i give him some contact info? we live in maryland and i don't think anyone else that is going from his recruiters office has the same rating as him. its always nice to know someone when you're going into an unfamiliar situation.
How do they decide PIRs... Almost every week in GL a different Training Group graduates. (There are a few non graduation weeks every year.) A TG consists of a varying amount of Divisions, usually anywhere from 6-14. As each Recruit arrives, they are placed in a Division. For some, that is immediate, as they are trying to finish filling the last of the Divs from a particular TG. For others-even some who left and/or arrived on the same day-there may be a delay, as they will be the first Recruits placed in the Divisions of the new TG which will graduate a week-or more-later. This is why we don't recommend trying to guesstimate your PIR date and purchasing (non refundable) plane tickets too early. Just too many variables.

Spec Ops Recruits (SEAL/SWCC, EOD, SAR/Air Rescue Swimmers) always get placed in a 800 Div. Those chosen for our 900 Divs (only one of those per PIR, they are the assigned Group to the TG#, for instance 934 would be the 900 Div for TG 34 graduating on xxxx date) may have a delay while they are being selected. Completely confused now?! :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Navy for Moms Admin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service